Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Sheeesh!!!

Last I checked 29 was the age of a completely functioning adult. Plus, I've had a birthday recently and so now the number 30 gives me LOTS more credibility. And so I've been led to my next article rebuttal. This time in response to an AZ Republic columnist named Mike McClellan - which to his credit actually gave permission for me to respond to his column. In a nutshell, Mr. McClellan claims that I believe in affirmative action and so believe that I DESERVE to be granted the office of councilmember. Nothing could be farther from the truth - and so I include my rebuttal not only to drill holes in his argument, but to share with all why I have worked so hard to be included in this process. Here it is:

Throwing around words like “affirmative action” is an attempt to deflect attention from the real issue: who has the ability to lead and inspire? As a candidate for town council, I am not asking for special treatment or a free pass.

It is unfortunate that some have criticized me for making comments on my website about my young family. My family is a large part of who I am. That is my life and because of it, I have a unique perspective of the needs of other families just like mine who make up the majority of Gilbert residents.

Despite the facts, some continue to state that I will bring nothing to the council except my age and that I am not "qualified by experience, or ability, or achievement." I strongly disagree. I have the ability to bring people together, to listen to all sides of an argument and then use my skills, knowledge and perspective to decide what is best. My experience includes my financial background, owning a successful small business, serving on the board of a non-profit, participating in an appointed position in my assembly district and involving myself in a leadership role on several state ballot initiatives. As a leader, I will work hard to keep taxes low, to help make Gilbert a place where businesses want to come, to open and maintain lines of communication, to keep our quality of life high through sustaining and properly managing our open spaces and I will be fiscally responsible by not increasing spending during this economic downturn on new, non-essential projects. Finally, I will engage the young families in our town so that there is a continuum of leadership and a legacy for our children and grandchildren in the years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment