Friday, January 9, 2009

Closed Door - On the Record

Today was the AZ Republic, closed door, on the record meeting - sounds so serious doesn't it? -with the editors and reporters who are covering the Gilbert election. I will admit that I was nervous. So nervous in fact that when the bottle of water on the table was looking mighty refreshing, I didn't drink it for fear that I would spill it. But after a few minutes and a few questions, I felt myself again and the angry swarm of bees in my stomach must have settled in for a 90 minute nap.

The questions that were asked were thoughtful and the answers given by my opponents helped me to better understand their position as well. Some of the questions were (I'm paraphrasing here);

"Why are you running for town council?"

"What is the top priority for you to make Gilbert a better place to live?"

"Who do you think your target voter is and which demographic do you feel you represent?"

"As a candidate who wishes to represent the Gilbert family, is there anything that Gilbert does that you disagree with or is there anything that Gilbert should be doing better for the Gilbert family?"

All in all, I was pleased with the discussions that followed each question. When the meeting was over, I walked out with another candidate. He asked me how I thought the meeting went and I found myself smiling. "It was fun!" It wasn't Disneyland, but I enjoyed the meeting much more than I anticipated. That might be how I end up describing this entire process - "It isn't Disneyland, but it's fun!"

Oh yea...and I picked up a few of my signs from the printers which was very exciting! Look for them around town and if you don't mind, if you see one damaged or in need of repair, please email me. Thank you for your help!

No comments:

Post a Comment