Sunday, January 11, 2009

Questionnaire after Questionnaire...

I've spent the last week responding to lots of questionnaires, inquiries and issues. I'm finding that the more time I spend pondering the problems and hurdles that are facing Gilbert and the people that live here, the more I want to jump in and contribute to the solutions. I was committed to this process from the get-go but now I'm absolutely certain that serving the people - in whatever capacity I'm granted - is a great privilege and honor.

The Gilbert Chamber of Commerce and the Gilbert Small Business Alliance have an obvious interest in the town council. I think I've brought some great ideas and a fresh, new perspective to the challenges facing these entities and the people they represent. Both have said that the responses to the questions will be included on their website so I'll link it up when they're ready.

I received an email from a Gilbert citizen asking some specific questions. For the record, I don't know this person and I was so glad that he took the time to ask me questions about issues that are important to him. I won't share his name but I will share his questions and my responses - if he thinks they are important, perhaps you do too. Please feel free to email me with any questions that you have. My commitment to the Gilbert Town Council is most importantly, a commitment to you!

Pro-life or pro-choice?

Pro-life. I believe that as a moral people, we have an obligation to protect the unborn.

Republican or Democrat?

Republican. I also serve as a precinct committeeman.

Who are your favorite political thinkers/writers and why?

I love history and find the writings from our Founding Fathers - specifically Thomas Jefferson and John Adams - particularly fascinating. Their perspective stemmed from a deeply principled sense of responsibility to the vision of the United States of America. I also enjoy David Barton and his commitment to Christian values with respect to historic and current government. I am currently reading The 5000 Year Leap by Cleon Skousen and am really enjoying it.

What do you think the proper role of government is?

The proper role of government is to preserve the freedoms that our innately ours and to protect us from infringements on those freedoms. The government does not grant us the freedoms as that would imply that they would be able to take those freedoms away from us. The freedoms; to worship, to bear arms, etc. are God-given and are not to be regulated by the government -only preserved and protected.

Did you support or oppose Prop 102?

I supported Prop 102! I have been a board member of United Families Arizona for the past five years. Our organization was part of the coalition to protect marriage and through that association I had the great opportunity to write many of the action alerts for United Families, work in the call centers and organize sign distribution. It was a wonderful experience.

What should Gilbert be when we grow up?

Gilbert has the potential to be a place where we can live, work and play. The 202 corridor and the long-term plan for the Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport presents some unique opportunities to the town. We are an attractive location for businesses and employees as we maintain our small-town traditions and high-quality of life with the accessibility and convenience of a much larger city. Growth is inevitable however, we must stay true to the family values that Gilbert has been built upon and do all we can to protect the best interests of the family. My goal as a member of the town council is to represent the Gilbert family: Is it true? Is it right? Is it good for the Gilbert family? Financially, it is essential that the town get back to the basics, begin operating under budget and define between wants and needs. There are many things that make a town great to live in, but without proper funding of essential town services (fire, police, streets and water), those town perks mean absolutely nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment